De Waal Park is a serene antidote to frenetic daily life. It is an important part of Cape Town’s city landscape and has a long history.
1877 sees the start of this tale as the Cape Town City Council bought land from the Van Breda family who owned the farm Oranjezigt. The land was divided into three sections, one of which was to be the park. The city councillor at the time, David Christiaan de Waal, was also a member of the Legislative Council of the Cape Colony and he decided to develop the park. He further developed the park during his tenure as Mayor of Cape Town from 1889 to 1890, and it was officially opened for public use in 1895.
On 22 March 1968, the park was declared to be a National Monument, and is now listed as a Provincial Heritage Site.